ARISTASIA FORUM ARCHIVE

These forums are archived. For current activity please go to Heartbook
It is currently Mon September 25th, 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Unlikely Champions of Femininity in Telluria
PostPosted: Tue August 11th, 1:43 pm 
Doing well
Doing well

As I have stated in a previous post, I have studied Tellurian popular culture most extensively, and I think that there are certain stand outs within it that suggest Dea's presence even in post-eclipse Telluria. I was also realizing that in Telluria after the eclipse some of the best champions of femininity have been masculi. I was listening to an LP the other day of a band from the Tellurian 1980's, and the lyrics struck me as particularly significant, and after viewing the kinnie made to accompany it I was convinced I was on to something.

It's a song by the band "Twisted Sister" and the title of the song is "We're not gonna take it"

The kinnie features a little chap (perhaps 12 or 13 years of age) playing a guitar in his bedroom, his father hears the music and becomes angry, stomping up stairs and starting to berate the son demanding "What kind of a man are you?" and saying "I carried an m16, and you, you carry that guitar"

I find it interesting that an m16 (a weapon, a symbol of the most negative aspects of masculinity) is juxtaposed with a guitar (an instrument, something made to create beauty) and that the father basically suggests that the creation of beauty is not a fit pursuit for the son. After the father demands what the son wants to do with his life the son says "I want to rock" and plays a chord which knocks the father back (a rather crude metaphor for the power of beauty to knock back the enemy) and the son "turns in to" Dee Snyder, the vocalist of Twisted Sister. Dee is not a handsome fellow, a bit long faced, and perhaps a little bony, with his mane of frizzy blonde hair and bright heavy application of cosmetics there is almost something a bit monster-ish about him, but his bright colors and presence seem to suggest, that if he is a monster, he's the sort of magical kind monster that defends children from bogey's and nasty things.

His presentation is both incredibly feminine (with his long hair, and bright makeup) and suggests immense strength. He is a defender against the gray masculine universe. He is so joyous and bright, and despite his generally fending off the father (and perhaps causing him a bit of harm) he seems like an utterly non-malicious presence.

The song itself seems like a call to battle, but not the violent sort of battle. It seems a call to fight the dull world that seems to shove everyone into sad grey little boxes simply by being what one it really is.

It also seems to suggest that despite it's suggestion of objection to the current social order, that they aren't for leaving the world in chaos, they're for rearranging things or the better.

In general the "Glam Rock" of the 70's and 80's often has moments that seem directly connected to the feminine divine.

Although most of the musicians would not refer to themselves as "feminists" in the Tellurian sense of the world, they seem to be protesting the devaluation of femininity in society. After the "feminism" of the 60's and 70's masculinity was prized and encouraged in femini, but masculi were still mocked and ridiculed if they dared so much as play with a doll, or express an interest in art.

In a decade that declared "Greed is good" rock musicians abandoned profit (although a few made money, most joined with the sensible expectation of being poor) in favor of singing songs that declared the glory of love, confirmed the holiness and meaning of eroticism, and performed in exquisite costuming with a ritualistic joy that tugs at something deep in me.

Of course there are more tawdry examples (simply further proof that Tellurian's can corrupt any idea no matter how good) but there is such a joy there, and such a delight in all things feminine (without in any way becoming a parody, or playing with the idea that femininity is "weak")

The lyrics to the song:
http://www.metrolyrics.com/were-not-gon ... ister.html

Of course a lot of the bands also toyed with certain "darker" imagery, but Tellurian's have long been told that femininity in Masculi is a sinful wicked thing, and so to me it seems less an actual connection to evil, and more an "Oh, you think we're scary... booga booga booga" sort of a thing.

Especially since in post eclipse Telluria linguistics have become so confused and so... 1984-ish, that "Good" is "Evil" and "Obedience" is "Rebellion"

I also think that, authority should be questioned. This does not mean that I'm in any way suggesting we ought to disobey everything, or throw away all that has come before, but that it is best to carefully consider any idea or plan before accepting it. Blind acceptance and blind disobedience are both equally foolish plans.

In Aristasia, of course society is unified and without dissent because the social order works properly. In Telluria dissent is necessary because they've managed to make such a muddle o things. Again, I'm not suggesting that we do any of the violent rebelling that seems all too popular in Telluria. I think that the best course is to rebel through polite disagreement, and unification. By bringing people together in a splintered world, we change it more effectively than doing battle in the traditional sense ever could

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Unlikely Champions of Femininity in Telluria
PostPosted: Wed August 12th, 9:21 am 
Little Star Contributor
Little Star Contributor

I've never regarded glamrock with this "view", Miss Elise! This one makes a sense! :)
And for some reasons, those stars are now real gentlemen. See Mr. Bowie...

ViVi

PostPosted: Wed August 12th, 6:14 pm 
Two Stars Already!
Two Stars Already!

Oh, yes, I rather like Mr. Bowie's charming british way of speaking...

Matter of fact, I was thinking about this disobedience thing today, Miss Elise. Why do people feel so compeled to rebel? In my country, what I see is that rebellion is a by-product of the lack of care for the masses and the overly political way of thinking Democracy. The democracy in south american terms means giving the power to people who had no access to education, security, sometimes not even home or food. And, yet, we, as the civilians of a democracy, are forced into the voting booths every couple of year and our way of choosing is either to pick whatever number comes to our mind, without even knowing who the candidates are, or to choose the one whose poetical and pretty words touched our hearts deeply. For the people, children of this so called democracy, to choose the ones who has promised change and food in the plates, do they really have choice at all?

Perhaps the fault of modern democracy is that: choice in the hands who can't really choose. They are puppeted by the ones who are already up there. Why can't we have a hierarchy of people who know what Law, Order, Righteousness and Justice mean? They should be the ones ruling. But we are in a democracy. Don't even mention hierarchy.

Forgive me if I am sounding too attached to tellurian politics - or rather, that I am just pouring out my frustration - but lately in my country we are living an state of shame and bewilderment. It is simply impossible not to notice these things now. It is impossible to ignore how they managed to get Order upside down. What we need is a true rebellion to change things, but the problem is: who will be there to control the new insurgence of confilcting interests and at least try to restore things to the way they should be? Unfortunately, no one is able to do it. No one has her mind on what really matters.

No one wants to unify.

Oh, and your way of looking at the rock culture is rather interesting. The glam rock is indeed a more feminine way of seeing a masculinised world - although it sometimes get twisted, really. For exemple, Mana from Malice Mizer makes this statement make more sense, I guess. Oposed to the death-witchcraft-we-like-all-things-decaying rock.

PostPosted: Wed August 12th, 7:16 pm 
Little Star Contributor
Little Star Contributor

Ohhh I love Mana-sama!
One of the few "pearls" in Telluria, an untouched jewel, seeker of pure perfect beauty!

who cares about her Tellurian gender? A chappy-chap who wants to be a brunette? An "otherkin"? She's a gorgeous brunette to all of us!

ViVi

PostPosted: Wed August 12th, 11:43 pm 
Doing well
Doing well

I do quite agree, I've had several romantic entanglements with such people, people who despite having the physical "equipment" of masculi, were quite clearly maids. It's surprising how many of the fellows in question aren't chappy chaps at all. I do believe Mana-sama is actually happily married.

I also think Mr. Bowie, and Mr. Snider are both such characters as well. Mr. Snider's devotion to his wife and family is particularly charming. As well, although I wouldn't consider him "attractive" I do think he manages to be quite beautiful in a brightly colored tropical lizard sort of way (one can be beautiful without being attractive I think)

Another fellow whom I greatly respect is Mr. Michael Monroe of the band Hanoi Rocks, although their style is very... far eastrenne in appearance, i do think there is a civilized element to it. It reminds me of the costumes of the beduin

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm29 ... 108fx9.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm12 ... ks/90s.jpg

and such a pretty face too.

It's interesting to me, how many of the champions of femininity in the post-eclipse world have adopted a slightly ragged tribal, or gypsyish look. Almost the sort of thing you'd expect to see in the last bastion's of society when larger society has crumbled. All of it very beautiful, but most of it with a slightly worn or reconstructed look, wayfarers in the wasteland of the pit. It is a nice look, I think, very romantic, and charmingly whimsical

PostPosted: Thu August 13th, 4:30 am 
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Quirinelle
I hope you don't mind my saying this - but I really don't think masculi who like masculi and dress as a sort of parody of femini are a proper topic for these forums.

We come here to get away from this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Thu August 13th, 5:01 am 
Little Star Contributor
Little Star Contributor

Not to be devil's advocate
We have a mostly eminent example: Miss Martindale used to write in The Chap, magazine for gentlemen's fashion. So there are some gentlemen's around, who care about beauty and fashion.
Some care more than the others. They can be actually chappy-chaps, or simply interested in beauty.
About the first ones, I think that some chappy-chaps aren't properly masculi in the worse meaning of this word. Especially those who are femini "inside" or who wish to show their femini side

ViVi

PostPosted: Thu August 13th, 5:56 am 
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Quirinelle
With respect, ma'am, Miss Martindale did not bring the Chap magazine and its concerns into Aristasian fora and I do not think she would ever have considered doing so.

PostPosted: Thu August 13th, 5:56 am 
Settling in
Settling in

Actually, the reference to Miss Martindale makes this point even clearer. If you look up the entry on her in Wikipedia, you will see that not only did she not bring her Chap writings into Aristasia, but she actually discontinued them because of the Bridgehead policy:

Quote:
From 2003 to 2005, Miss Martindale wrote the Ladies' Column in The Chap magazine. She discontinued this in accordance with the then-nascent Bridgehead Doctrine, which discourages Aristasians from publicly commenting on "foreign" (i.e Earth) culture and politics.

I do think if Miss Martindale stopped writing about these things even in foreign magazines (and she opposed 100% of bongo pop-culture in her magazine writings), they are certainly not appropriate in an Aristasian forum.

PostPosted: Thu August 13th, 6:02 am 
Little Star Contributor
Little Star Contributor

I'm sorry, Miss Sorcière, I'm not putting The Chap Magazine's things in the fora. I'm only saying that Miss Martindale herself has dealt with gentlemen's fashion.
I'm not talking about gentlemen's fashion (off-topic here, I guess), I'm simply referring to some Tellurians who are not masculi in the worse sense, but those who have a feminine side, or a persona, such as Mana-Sama or others, those who actually cared and still care about beauty, refinement and so on.

ViVi

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next