ARISTASIA FORUM ARCHIVE

These forums are archived. For current activity please go to Heartbook
It is currently Sun December 10th, 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whither the Fora? Or wither the Fora?
PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 11:08 am 
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Quirinelle
"The Fora" in one form or another have been the heart of the "Great Aristasian Conversation" since at least the days of the rainbow-colored Blondes' and Brunettes' Club (who remembers that?)

But now the Fora are becoming rather empty, with Heartbook largely taking their place. Of course, the Fira have taken different forms over the years and perhaps Heartbook is the new form and it is time for these fora to wither away. If that is so there isn't much we c"The Fora" in one form or another have been the heart of the "Great Aristasian Conversation" since at least the days of the rainbow-colored Blondes' and Brunettes' Club (who remembers that?)

But now the Fora are becoming rather empty, with Heartbook largely taking their place. Of course, the Fira have taken different forms over the years and perhaps Heartbook is the new form and it is time for these fora to wither away. If that is so there isn't much we can do to stop it - these things have a life of their own.

But I want to suggest that there is good reason that the Fora should keep going. Heartbook is splendid at what it does, and it is doing things the Fora never could do. But it is also not doing some of the things the Fora do so well. I am thinking in particular of our long and fascinating discussions on so many subjects. They happen somewhat in Heartbook, but not to the same extent. 

My suggestion is that the Fora continue as a place for discussion of various topics. I think they may need to be slimmed down, as some of the Fora are definitely now redundant in the face of Heartbook (which does a far better job in those areas). 

I am also aware  that one can never tell when a discussion will bust out and you can't always deliberately start one. But they do bust out less on Heartbook, and I think we should at least try starting some over here. 

So maybe we should start by discussing the Fora themselves. Should we keep them or let them wither? Should we restructure them? What should we use them for exactly. Do please let me know your thoughts. 

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Whither the Fora? Or wither the Fora?
PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 11:25 am 
Two Stars Already!
Two Stars Already!

Rayati, it has been sometime since I last visited and how surprised I was to see a new post here.

I agree with Miss Sorciere and I am of the opinion that the Fora should be continued. We could perhaps trim it a bit, since the more "casual" conversation takes place at Heartbook, and keep the sections such as the Quadrangle, the General Fora and the Crucible of Creativity. After all, when more serious discussions happen at Heartbook, they are quite difficult to follow, since so much happens inbetween replies and even the way in which the comments appear is somewhat confusing. I think also that feeding the Fora with topics will be a very interesting way to rekindle conversation upon more extensive matters and open a great way for them to be thought in more depth. I believe it would be quite valuable to restructure our beloved Fora!

Post subject: Re: Whither the Fora? Or wither the Fora?
PostPosted: Thu October 14th, 3:34 pm 
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Quirinelle
I do agree. Heartbook is not really structured for extensive discussios and the Fora are. They have all thenecessary tools for creating threads, editing etc. Also everything written here appears on the right-hand column of Heartbook so we still have a one-stop location for all the latest things.