ARISTASIA FORUM ARCHIVE

These forums are archived. For current activity please go to Heartbook
It is currently Mon August 21st, 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "needlessness" of God
PostPosted: Fri September 3rd, 10:10 am 
Two Stars Already!
Two Stars Already!

I took the liberty to transfer this topic from Heartbook. Earlier today I wrote:

"Seems that the materialistic point of view of science is getting exponentially more popular. The latest news: The great english scientist Stephen Hawking, famous for his works regarding cosmology and the nature of time, came to the brilliant conclusion that the Universe can simply exist without the ”need” of God Looks like that the scientific community took great joy in it, since THE most brilliant professor has said it so himself.

… I was way too offended to even bother to read his points. Surely would be a waste of my time that probably will make me more prone to have another panic attack. Oh Dea, when will it ever stop…"

Miss Eliza responded:

"How very sad… This is simply another reminder of how important it is we keep turning to Dea and away from this ”science”. I am sure the FoD were present guiding this ”research”. I plan to strengthen my faith through more prayer and meditation in response. "

I read a bit further about this matter out of curiosity, but instead of offending, it was rather amusing. He claims that the Universe can - and will - create itself out of nothing as long as the laws of physics such as gravity apply. He says "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist."

At first I was left speechless again. I was flabbergasted at how this theory was a great example on how "science" tries to prove things just by proving itself - which means, no validity at all. And then, I laughed. After all, he is also the great scientist who said that human survival depends on colonizing other planets and solar systems. While colonizing outer space is not a ridiculous matter in itself, I really hope none will give him credit for this statement, as I fear that patriarchy wandering the planets will only spread the damage, not solve it.

This talk reminded me of this story at All-Girl Worlds: http://allgirlworlds.com/the-fairy-gambit/ A rather humorous look on space colonization :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The "needlessness" of God
PostPosted: Fri September 3rd, 10:29 am 
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Quirinelle
Over two centuries ago, Napoleon said to the mathematician Laplace:

"M. Laplace, you have written this large book on the system of the universe, and have never even mentioned its Creator."

Laplace replied "Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là." ("I had no need of that hypothesis.")

This is interesting, because Laplace had no notion of any of the modern theories and yet he still imagined he could explain the universe without God. In other words, all this has nothing to do with the findings and speculations of recent physics, and everything to do with male hubris, which in the Rajasic era grew to monstrous proportions.

As you say:

Quote:
He claims that the Universe can - and will - create itself out of nothing as long as the laws of physics such as gravity apply. He says "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist."

As long as the laws of physics such as gravity apply. So how did these laws come out of nothing? And how do we know that they are the same in all times and all places? We don't.

What is actually being said is:

"supply me with a system so complex that it has taken ten generations of mathematicians centuries to understand it (or to imagine they do) and I will tell you how something can come out of nothing.

Well - out of nothing except that unbelievably complex system - but that is nearly nothing, isn't it?"

Are we supposed to applaud or laugh?

Post subject: Re: The "needlessness" of God
PostPosted: Fri September 3rd, 1:12 pm 
Settling in
Settling in

An interesting point about this is that when Laplace made his famous statement, he thought that the world was almost ready to understand the universe in its entirety. A few loose ends needed tying up, but in its essentials, the whole thing was understood.

Such problems as how to reconcile quantum physics with Newtonian physics were not problems at all, because no one would even hear of quantum physics for another hundred years. The Secret of the Universe (he believed) had been unlocked on a purely Newtonian model (which, for the most part, is what ordinary Tellurians still mean today when they speak of “science”).

Now physicists say that they are only a few steps away from a GUT or a TOE (a Grand Unified Theory, or a Theory of Everything - that is what they call them!) - just as Laplace did two centuries ago.

Assuming the west-Tellurian purely-material “science” model lasts that long, I wonder what they will think two centuries from now. Perhaps they will again be on the verge of the “Final Breakthrough”, having long ago realized that Hawking was as far from the “full truth” as Laplace.