The Silence of Winter

The Silence of Winter

Postby Candace Bethune » Sat December 5th, 5:53 pm

Rayati, dear ladies. It is a snowy day where I am, and with the snow came a profound silence. That is how the dark months tend to be for me; largely silent. This is my explanation for why I have not been speaking up much lately, but of course it is no excuse.

Despite my tendency to retreat into myself this time of year, I am making lots of attempts to reach out. I have been busily crafting Nativity gifts for my goddaughters and their family, as well as a few other special people in my life. And I have been baking fruitcake! I know that fruitcake has a dreadful reputation, but I can assure you that it can be delicious. I macerated a sizable bucket full of dried fruit and candied ginger in gold rum, and baked it with the best spices I could find, and I'm delighted with how it turned out.

Also, I am working on a Trentish Nativity story, which I very much hope to complete in time this year. It's a bit of a ghost story, and of course it has a happy ending. It's just the middle bit I'm having trouble finishing.

That's the news from Chez Bethune. I do hope y'all are enjoying the lead up to Nativity.

Candace Bethune
New Girl
New Girl

Nationality: Kadorian

Re: The Silence of Winter

Postby Minami Kohime » Sun December 6th, 11:08 am

I will be looking forward to your story, Miss Bethune! And I am glad you could make a fruitcake that actually tastes good like a cake should. Perhaps you could share the recipe with us? Or is it a family secret? Hee! :)

Minami Kohime
Two Stars Already!
Two Stars Already!

Postby Candace Bethune » Mon December 7th, 10:57 am

I am very happy to share the recipe! It is the creation of Mr. Alton Brown, a most inspired chef:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

I hope you will try it. It is sublime!

Candace Bethune
New Girl
New Girl

Nationality: Kadorian

Postby Minami Kohime » Mon December 7th, 8:03 pm

Wow, it takes a lot of ingredients! But I will try to do it (hopefully before Christmas, as I have a problem with my oven) and tell you the results. Thank you for the recipe!

Minami Kohime
Two Stars Already!
Two Stars Already!

Return to Miss Bethune's Studio