ARISTASIA FORUM ARCHIVE

These forums are archived. For current activity please go to Heartbook
It is currently Thu June 29th, 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: [risque, I think] Archetype of sexuality?
PostPosted: Mon January 31st, 12:26 pm 
Settling in
Settling in

Nationality: Arkadyan
I got home late in the night yesterday, and was so delighted to unpack "The Feminine Régime" which I had ordered before I left for the month long Seminar that ended last weekend, and which had of course long arrived in my absence.

I have spent most of to-day in bed, reading it. I don't feel capable of capturing any of the atmosphere of the book into some Aristasian theses on eroticism, but I did have to think of this thread a couple of times as I read the book and can only recommend reading it (or coming to the book club to hear it) - for a thousand reasons of course, but one of them would be that reading it I believes may just answer, or at least be a wonderful contribution to an answer of honoured Miss Kohimes question, without intending to.

Rayati,
your Fräulein Bernstein

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue February 1st, 12:54 pm 
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Quirinelle
It is a while since I had access to a copy of The Feminine Régime. My impression was that it is decidedly the most "erotic" of the early Aristasian books. But it is also the book that stresses on several occasions that eroticism is best when not consummated (naturally there is no hint of consummation taking place anywhere in the book).

This makes sense in the light of Lady Aquila's words:

Quote:
...if eroticism had not a spiritual actuality, it would not exist. Aristasian philosophy, like your Plato, holds that maiden-eroticism is essentially a reflection of the Haiel'Sucri - as Tellurians would (once have) put it, the Divine Eros or Sri Kama.

for this is Plato's view exactly. While in popular modern usage, a "platonic relationship" is one where, for one reason or another, consummation is not involved; what Plato actually meant was a relationship that was erotic in the higher sense but which directed that eroticism to a spiritual end, and not to material consummation.

Since marriage is a minority vocation in the Motherlands and Amity plays a much greater role we may wonder what part "eroticism" plays for many girls, and what I have heard is that there is a considerable amount of "courtly" love, that focuses on the adoration of blondes by brunettes without marriage or consummation.

This is perhaps something that should be written about more. I should love to see some fiction illustrating "courtly" relationships and how they fit in with other relationships.

One thing that I think is very important in all of this is that Aristasians do not accept the Animal Thesis and therefore, unlike modern Tellurians, do not regard erotic attraction as an animal urge, having its primary end in a procreative act.

They see maidens as far more subtle and complex beings full of endless magical and romantic possibilities, while Telluria has increasingly reduced its view of maid and her myriad desires to a few simple, utilitarian functions.

PostPosted: Wed February 2nd, 4:15 am 
Settling in
Settling in

Nationality: Arkadyan
Quote:
It is a while since I had access to a copy of The Feminine Régime. My impression was that it is decidedly the most "erotic" of the early Aristasian books. But it is also the book that stresses on several occasions that eroticism is best when not consummated (naturally there is no hint of consummation taking place anywhere in the book).

I share your impression absolutely, honoured Miss Sorcière.

Because honoured Miss Kohime asked concerning sexuality, my first - perhaps pit-conditioned - reply was focused on the possible archtypal meaning of consummation in marriage rather than eroticism. By the replies that followed I was given the impression that she was actually more interested in the role eroticism can play in Aristasia or the "Archetype of eroticism". Hence my remark about "The Feminine Régime". I did not wish to say that "The Feminine Régime" had anything to say about "sexuality" or consummated love - I merely do believe a lot about eroticism and Aristasia can be learned from it.
I also believe that while it might be possible to theorise about the Archtype of Marriage, the real meaning of eroticism is by its very nature probably not at all "theorisable". I can't imagine that an essay about eroticism could ever be as illuminating as "The Feminine Régime", that is of course not about eroticism at all.

Now I really hope I haven't managed to say any of this in such a way as to make a fool of myself or offend decency - it is a difficult topic to talk about, and even more difficult to write about and certainly very, very difficult to write about in a foreign language. Do excuse me, if I should have expressed anything in an offending way. It was definitely not my intention.

PostPosted: Wed February 2nd, 9:32 pm 
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Quirinelle
No, no, Fräulein Bernstein, definitely nothing you have said is in the least offensive. It is a difficult subject to discuss, but we do like to feel we can discuss anything. Your contributions are, as always, much valued.