I am still here...

I am still here...

Postby Daffodil Finesmith » Thu August 5th, 3:44 pm

...and I do try to follow the Heartbook. I find it a wee bit herky jerky, like a lively discussion at a crowded dinner table. While I'm used to that, I have never acquired the knack for it. I often am at a dinner table where the conversation trends to a subject I find fascinating and I ponder a moment on how to contribute. I formulate my sentences. And finally I open my mouth to say something but discover the topic is long past and my thoughtful contribution is now moot as everyone else has since moved on.

So please, continue on. Know that I'm still here. If you look over and see me with an expectant look and my mouth open as if to say something, it's because I've just now thought of a witty remark to contribute to last week's topic.

Rayati,
Miss Daffodil

Daffodil Finesmith
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Vintesque

Re: I am still here...

Postby Sushuri Madonna » Thu August 5th, 10:17 pm

Well it can be a bit that way sometimes. We do want to keep the fora open for more meditated discussion. I hope we'll find the balance evench. We have been thinking of opening a thread or even a sub-forum on grammar, punctuation etc. As we work to formulate the Sun Daughter Press's house style.

What do you think about serial commas? (I thought they were just Cheerios with tails).

Read The Mushroom Patch - a fun-gal outbreak in Elektra.

The column that supports the spotty top.

Sushuri Madonna
Twice-crowned contributor
Twice-crowned contributor

Location: In the sunny south building the blessed Sanctuary, praise be to Dea!
Nationality: Novaryan

Re: I am still here...

Postby Daffodil Finesmith » Sun August 8th, 8:55 am

Miss Madonna,
I confess I did not know the name of those commas and so I looked them up. It turns out they are also called Oxford commas and Harvard commas! Nevertheless, despite their being nameless in my head, I'm happy to say I have an opinion. I was always taught to not waste commas but to save them up in case you might need them for a particularly long list. It simply would not do for the Sun Daughter Press find itself with a long list a the end of a publication just about to go to press and then a look in the comma drawer to find there were none left!

In all seriousness, I think they are an extravagance. I prefer the economy of letting the word 'and' do the double work of creating a pause between items as a comma does, as well as letting your gentle reader know that the end of the list near.

Rayati,
Miss Daffodil

Daffodil Finesmith
Doing well
Doing well

Nationality: Vintesque

Return to The Daffodillery