GRE Study Thread

GRE Study Thread

Postby Eternal Sommerfeld » Mon November 16th, 5:35 pm

Does anyone want to stand over me with a ruler to see that I study? I honestly wish it were a possibility as I am dreffly afraid I will stop studying after a few days and I really must do better on this test. I studied for hours today and will hopefully study for hours tomorrow.

Today, I attempted to learn these simple rules for mathematics by rote memorization - writing each at least fifty times!
  • Multiply two exponents with the same base by adding the exponents
  • Exponents inside and outside of parentheses should be multiplied by each other.
  • Square roots can be split into factors For example, the square root of 32 is equal to four times the square root of 2, because 16 (four squared) and two are factors of 32.
  • When looking at a problem, one should perform the following operations in order: Any thing in parenthesis should be done first, then exponents, then multiplication/division, and finally addition and subtraction. This can be remembered using my mneumonic device: PEMDAS, or Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sushuri. Even though Miss Sushuri is too young to be an aunt.
  • To reduce a fraction, divide the numerator and denominator by a common denominator.
  • When multiplying fractions, just multiply the numerator and the denominators across.

Eternal Sommerfeld
Settling in
Settling in

Nationality: Novaryan

Re: GRE Study Thread

Postby Sushuri Madonna » Mon November 16th, 6:34 pm

Well I read those several times over, and I still don't understand them. I take my top off to you for even knowing what they mean.

I can't do much in the way of rulerizing, but we are all (square)rooting for you. Seriously we are. We know how important this is and if we can help and encourage you we will in every way.

I am so glad you have decided to take another run at the gate.

Ganbatte kudasai!

Read The Mushroom Patch - a fun-gal outbreak in Elektra.

The column that supports the spotty top.

Sushuri Madonna
Twice-crowned contributor
Twice-crowned contributor

Location: In the sunny south building the blessed Sanctuary, praise be to Dea!

Postby Mengxia Yu » Mon November 16th, 7:21 pm

Miss Sommerfeld, do you have any sort of study program for your ordie for the GRE?

You see, I took the GRE a year or so ago, and now I have got this study book and program by Kaplan just sitting around here, taking up space. I don't know why I haven't sold it. It is a very good program. Would you like it?

Mengxia Yu
Silver-crowned Contributor

Nationality: Arkadyan

Postby Eternal Sommerfeld » Tue November 17th, 3:08 pm

Why thank you for the offer, Miss Yu! I am sure that I would benefit greatly from the software and would love to have it. Are you in the United States? If not, it may be difficult for me to get the software before the test. In exchange, I could make and wash up a hat to send to you, but I am still worried that the hat would smell of my brunette mummy's tobacco. Perhaps I could give you a hat (or something more lovely) in Virchers in exchange?

Eternal Sommerfeld
Settling in
Settling in

Postby Eternal Sommerfeld » Tue November 17th, 3:28 pm

Today, my studying was cut into by work. :cry:

I was able to leave by 1pm, however, and commenced studying the moment I got home. I opened the chapter in the book on Algebra for the first time and began to work through the exercises and familiarize myself with algebra again. I learned some important things about algebra, and even some important things about the test itself.

For example, I learned that, while some problems appear to require an algebraic solution, they can really be solved by substituting the variables for numbers or "plugging in" and working the problem that way. For example, if you have a problem that asks which is bigger, X-squared or 1 divided by X-squared, and tells you that X is a negative number, you can figure out which is bigger by plugging negative numbers into the equation.

They can be any number, but I learned that it really only works if you do it twice. In some instances, the answer to this sort of question (called a quantitative comparison) is simply "We can't know," because the question does not give enough information to discern whether or not one quantity is bigger. So, by plugging in twice, you can see if one answer might produce a higher result on one side, whereas another would do the opposite, thus indicating that it is impossible to tell. In the case of the above problem, the answer simply cannot be determined because X could be a fraction, which would produce a different result than if X were a whole number.

There is still a lot of work to be done with Algebra, much of which just involves working through problems and familiarizing oneself with techniques.

Eternal Sommerfeld
Settling in
Settling in

Postby Mengxia Yu » Tue November 17th, 4:22 pm

Yes, I live in Culveria, so postage should be fine! Just send me a private message with your address!

Mengxia Yu

Nationality: Arkadyan

Postby Eternal Sommerfeld » Tue November 17th, 8:20 pm

:( Following my work today, I took a diagnostic test and found out that I need to work on geometry. Desperately. I suppose that will be next on the agenda, once I finish studying the algebra.

Eternal Sommerfeld
Settling in
Settling in

Postby Eternal Sommerfeld » Tue November 24th, 9:32 pm

I have finished work on the algebra and geometry sections of my workbook and have begun drilling the information into my brain by working through practice sets and by writing lines. I know most pettes do not like to write lines, and I myself am no exception; however, given the circumstances, it seems like a wonderful way to remember everything that I must.

Eternal Sommerfeld
Settling in
Settling in

Return to Miss Sommerfeld's House